Monday, March 16, 2009

Some Quick Quilts and Looser Monday Update

Last week when I had breakfast with my girl she asked me if I could make a baby quilt for a friend ...correction, two baby quilts for a friend who is having twins...and the shower is April 4th. I knew I had a kit for Brown Bear, Brown Bear and I have been hording bits of this and that for The Very Hungry Caterpillar, so that's what I decided to go with. Both very fast and very easy and she will get the books to go along with each quilt. The Brown Bear quilt was going to be for our sweet baby that will be a year old in August, so a quick call to where I got it and I'll have another kit for you know who. Speaking of.....his mommy took this picture the other day. Just trying out a new hair do!! We were lucky enough to have a grandma sleepover Saturday night and what fun we had. He is such a happy boy and a good sleeper too! It was so fun to wake up to those happy cooing baby noises. Boy he looks more and more like his daddy every day....mommy even says so!!!

I have about half of the rows pieced for The Dutch Treat Quilt. This quilt is taking a bit longer than I thought, but I am hoping by the weekend to have it finished. Have any of you visited Abbey Lane Quilts? They have really, really cute patterns and one of my new favorite quilts, Glad All Over.....LOVE IT!! Look at that giant rick rack. You know I can't resist that :-)! Check them out.... and they also have a great blog. Just when you think you have all the wonderful patterns you need along comes a whole truckload of MORE!!!!!!!

Now on to the Looooooser Monday Report. First off thanks to General Geranium for keeping us all on track and keeping us motivated. If I wasn't checking in each week I would surely have gained so I am very grateful! My status for this week- I stayed exactly the same--what, the same are you kidding?? Geeeeeeez!!! Time to reflect---so there was the Japanese four course dinner, then there was breakfast with Katie where I had some wonderful cinnamon french toast and sausage...and then there was the part where I wasn't keeping track of what I was eating (actually that was pretty much the whole week). So in short, YIPEEEEEEEEEEE, boy am I lucky I didn't gain anything. It's all in your perspective :-)! Here's my new breakfast that I am hooked on. Wheat waffles -3 points for two waffles, and l/4 cup of syrup for 1 point. Last week I missed the part about sharing a soup recipe so here's one of my favorites.

Weight Watcher Taco Soup
1- 16 ounce can fat free chili
1- 16 ounce can black beans, drained & rinsed
1- 16 ounce can pinto beans, drained & rinsed
1 can diced Rotel tomatoes
2 Tablespoons taco seasoning
1 49 ounce can fat free chicken broth
3 large zucchinis (leave skin on) sliced thick
2 large yellow squash (leave skin on) sliced thick
1 cup carrots, sliced
1- 4 ounce can diced green chilies
1 large onion, chopped

Put the broth in a large pan, stir in the fat free chili & taco seasoning and let simmer 10 minutes. Add rest of ingredients and simmer until veggies are tender, approximately 30 minutes. 1 cup = 1 point. I have found this is better if you make it the day before you plan to serve it. The flavors are better. I also freeze it. I put 2 cups in 8 plastic containers.....so 8-2 point portions.

I have been over the top blabby today-opps!!! Wishing you all the luck of the Irish this week and take some time to get crafty!♥♥♥

19 comments:

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

Congratulations on the no loss/no gain. Look at the positive. NO GAIN! I've tried those waffles. They are yummy!

Unknown said...

Love the baby quilts and the picture of little Luke is adorable!! Sounds like you had a great sleep over! Have no fear losing nothing is way better than gaining. So I think congrats are in order!!

jen duncan said...

My girls' favorite gift shop is Casa de Mom as well!
Thanks for the soup recipe. We've been having "soup weather" and anything with mexican flavor makes me happy. Congrats on the no gain--you're right; that is often a very good thing!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Look at your precious grandson, so grown-up already! Love those twin quilts, too cute!

Red Geranium Cottage said...

OMG that litte guy is sooo cute and that new hair do rocks. He's got it going on big time.
Love your new pattern and your quilt in progress.
Thanks for the looser check in. I'm feeling like a waffle now and a taco soup chaser. lolol

Anonymous said...

Lots of baby quilts are in the works out there in blogland and friends of mine who don't blog at all. Brown bear quilt is getting ever so popular too as I have a friend finishing one up. They even have quilt motifs for it now too....can't remember where I saw them but it was before I realized so much brown bear. Your Luke is getting so big already!!

Thimbleanna said...

Man, I can't believe Luke is getting so big -- what a cutie! I love that hungry caterpillar fabric -- what a fun quilt to make!

Annelies said...

Good for you that you are sticking with it....of course NO one should ever say NO to the General (G)!!!! Your little guy is really stylin. What a cutie!!! XXX Annie

Carrie P. said...

Cute little mohawk on your grandson. Those baby quilts for the twin are going to be sweet.

Karen from Sew Many Ways... said...

Isn't it great to have all the fabric needed for 2 baby quilts. This is another reason we need to keep buying fabric, because you never know...well, that's what I keep telling my husband!!
Your grandson is the cutest thing.
~Karen!

Kris said...

That taco soup is awesome! Don't you just love being a Grandma!!! He is such a cutie pie!

Kim said...

Wow you have alot of info today.. I like it. Great patterns, super cute baby boy, good food, what more could you ask for. I do the waffle breakfast too.. MMM MMM. I will be trying that soup too. I think it sound yuummoo!
Thanks for sharing.

Chookyblue...... said...

that little man is growing so quickly.........so cute......

Carol said...

Cute baby quilts...oh yes Little Luke must have one...he's getting sooooooo big. I can't wait to try your soup...freezing it is a great idea. Thanks!

julieQ said...

No gain is a win! I love your twin quilts, very pretty. Thank you for the recipe...I will have to try that one!

deb said...

I will be trying those waffles, and that soup recipe too, thanks!!!!!!

happy zombie said...

Oh that soup looks so yum! Seriously yum!

Kim said...

Cheryl... I just took a closer look a that quilt .. OH MY>>> I think they designed that one just for YOU!

Anne said...

Very good choice for the quilts for the twins. I made the Very Hungry Catterpillar for my oldest grandson this past Christmas. I made a pillowcase to go with it. This Christmas I have to make Brown Bear, Brown Bear for my youngest grandson. They are too cool!!! I love the picture of Luke he is a cutie. Congrats, on no loss, no gain. I am trying to loose too, my son gets married in September. Thanks for the tip on the waffles.