Sunday, November 25, 2007

I Love My Girls!

We had a bit of a scare the day before Saturday. My mother in law was taken to the hospital with what she thought were problems with her heart. Two years ago Thanksgiving she was hospitalized with a heart attack and she thought it was the same thing again. Turns out it was a problem with some medication that had been recently prescribed to her. We are all very grateful that she is OK and at home resting. They did a complete workup of her heart and everything looks wonderful, which is very good news to hear.

Here's my girls....... They were wonderful. They grated, they chopped, they stirred, they rolled, they baked and if it wasn't for them our day would have been pretty food less! The best helpers ever, and I told them they did such a good job next year they can take it away! Girls I so much appreciate the two of you. It made it easy for me not to worry. Of course dad did his thing with the bird on the barbi.......ymmmmmmmmy! Very tender! Everyone pitched in with the dishes. My son was even drying the china. And knowing that John's mom was feeling better, made the day perfect.
The kids decided they wanted to take a picture for their Christmas cards this year with their dog Bailey. As you can see she is a bit of a wiggle worm. Think we will have try another time :-)!
I am still really sore, but making progress. I'm going to try a half day a work tomorrow and see how that goes. After not doing much for a week I'm hoping it will feel good to be a little busy, we'll see. Thought I would give you the recipe for the pumpkin cookies my girl made. She got it from Allrecipes.com. Enjoy!
Pumpkin Cookies
2 cups shortening
2 cups white sugar
2 cups canned pumpkin
2 eggs
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
4 cups all purpose flour
6 tablespoons butter
8 tablespoons milk
2 cups confectioners' sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup packed brown sugar
Cream shortening, white sugar and pumpkin. Add eggs and mix well. Sift together the baking soda, ground cinnamon, salt and flour. Add to pumpkin mixture and mix well. Drop from spoon to cookie sheet. Bake 10 minutes at
350 degrees.
To make frosting: cook butter, milk, and brown sugar until dissolved. Cool and add confectioners' sugar and vanilla. Spread over warm
cookies. These are very soft, cake like cookies.

6 comments:

CONNIE W said...

Family Thanksgivings are so fun, even kitchen duty. Looks warm outdoors in your photos.

Anonymous said...

The girls are adorable!!!!! Oh and so are you!!LOL!!!! You still have that cute little happy look about ya even while sick. I love your smile!!
Turkey looked yummy there and that dog is hilarious. I dont think he wants to be in the photo this year.

Mary Anne said...

Hi Cheryl!

Glad to hear your mom's doing fine -- and that you're feeling better too! Thank goodness for your two girls! (and boys!) -- do you hire them out?

Nan said...

I'm glad to hear that your MIL is a-okay! Love the pics of the kids and wiggly dog - very funny!
Thanks so much for the pumpkin cookie recipe! They look so delicious!

Carol said...

Oh your girls are so cute...thanks for Katie's cookie recipe. I am making those...and I'll probably eat them all :-)...then run to the gym LOL!

Unknown said...

Good morning Cheryl, glad to know your MIL's tests went well and that she is doing well. Glad you are better too. It is so rewarding when we see our children step up when they really need to. What a blessing.

Teresa